The ancient parish of Greenwich formed part of Kent until 1889 when the local government authority for the county became its own Metropolitan Borough, with responsibility for governmental district including the town. In 1900 in the county was again divided into metropolitan districts and since then Greenwich has been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich which since 1965 has had borough status. The former civil parish of Greenwich became a town in 1854 and was renamed to Royal Greenwich in 1888.
Both were included in the new metropolitan borough from 1965 these legal entities which existed from 1856 were also known as Greenwich, or sometimes West Greenwich, South Greenwich Forum (southgreenwichforum.co.uk). The borough is divided up into 21 wards, electing a total of 51 councillors. As of May 2014, the wards are: Charlton, Eastcombe, Eltham North, Eltham South, Glyndon, Hillman, Kidbrooke with Hornfair, Lewisham Way, Middle Park and Penge, New Eltham, Plumstead Common, Shooters Hill, St Helier, Telegraph Hill, Thames (4), Trafalgar (3), Well Hall (part) and West.
The Greenwich West and Peninsula wards are shared with the London Borough of Bromley. The wards are named after local places. In 1965 the Borough incorporated the former area of Greenwich Municipal District, which had been formed in 1855 when the area became part of the Metropolitan Police District. The district was run by a separate authority up to 1887 and again (after a brief period when it had been merged into Greenwich Borough) between 1900 and 1926.
To the north are the tennis courts and the Royal Observatory, with the Queen’s House beyond. To the west lie Deptford and New Greenwich, to the east a sports ground and then the river. The two halves of the town are divided by a steep high cliff known as Greenwich (or The) Hill rising above Deptford Creek, which is crossed by Greenwich Bridge to connect to Maze Hill railway station in North Greenwich. To the east is Vanbrugh Park, where one of the largest Tesco stores has now replaced most of Fairfield Halls.
Greenwich is bordered to the north by Deptford and to the east by Lewisham, both of which are in the London borough of Lewisham. To the west lie under a broad meander in the River Thames the Royal Borough of Greenwich and the Royal Docks (in Newham). The town centre is located near the confluence of the Park and River. The borough comprises three major parts divided by the Thames. The first is located north west of the river; the second between the river and the A2; and the third, more populous part, extends south from the A2 towards Charlton and includes Silvertown.
World Heritage Site
There are 67 listed buildings and structures within the World Heritage Site, including the Royal Observatory, the Queen's House and the Old Royal Naval College. The buildings that make up the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site are National Maritime Museum (the Painted Hall and Caird Gallery), Royal Observatory, 15 Gravesend Chapel, the Queen's House, Old Royal Naval College, Meridian Line, Flamsteed House (formerly Library of the Royal Observatory), Wernher Collection housed in Queen's House and Marine Pavilion, all of which help to tell the story of Greenwich's involvement in science and maritime history leading to its World Heritage Site status.
The first of these is Maritime Greenwich. This was the location of the Royal Naval College and the birthplace of naval architecture, which took place at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. The school that was to become the Royal Naval College was founded in October 1573, when King Henry VIII granted his physician, Charles Cavendish (brother of William Cavendish) a licence to found a public school for the sons of ship owners and sea captains.
The establishment of the college, however, owed much to a wealthy shipowner at that time, Christopher Monck I, who wished to create an institution to provide young men with a more academic education. The nucleus of Greenwich is the late 17th-century manor house, The "House" as it became known. The building was designed by architect Hugh May and originally built as three houses that were occupied by the Dormer, Bowyer and Haberdasher families. In 1690, the building became two houses and between 1793 and 1802, a third house was added.
Other houses surrounding the area were then also included in the hyphenated name by this time effectively becoming a single building: "Artist's House". The Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site comprises part of the Royal Naval College, the National Maritime Museum, the Queen's House and Cutty Sark all situated in Greenwich town centre and the Isle of Dogs. The buildings show an interesting range of architectural styles and time periods. The site has been referred to as "The Greenwich Palace" due to a perceived similarity with the Buckingham Palace architectural style.
The buildings along the riverfront include the Royal Naval College (1702–1837), the Queen's House and the National Maritime Museum. To the south of the river are: Somerset House (1776), Blackheath Halls and Christ's Hospital School, all built by Richard "Barry" in functional brick with little decoration. West of these buildings is the Observatory, home to Greenwich Mean Time. The Cutty Sark is a British clipper ship. Built on the River Clyde, Scotland in 1869 for the firm J.
Discover Greenwich Visitor Centre
Greenwich Visitor Centre is part of the Discover Cutty Sark Gardens, which also includes the Cutty Sark. The Discover Greenwich Visitor Centre opened in January 2007 on the first floor of the Pepys Building, which was designed by James Wyatt and built between 1794 and 1799. The centre provides an introduction to the history and attractions in the Greenwich World Heritage Site, including an extensive exhibition on the archaeology of Greenwich. Located on the banks of the River Thames, Greenwich has long been a popular place for both Londoners and tourists to visit.
Greenwichers will have plenty of historic sights to choose from. Discover Greenwich Visitor Centre offers an ideal starting point. The centre gives visitors information about the Cutty Sark, Old Royal Naval College and the Painted Hall, as well as Greenwich Palace. Frequently, visitors to the Greenwich World Heritage Site have limited time to explore this historic part of London before continuing their sightseeing. The Discover Greenwich Visitor Centre provides a unique opportunity for visitors to discover more about Greenwich and its history through an interactive multimedia presentation and a chance to talk with knowledgeable members of staff.
The centre is run by the Greenwich Foundation for the Old Royal Naval College. The facility is open to individuals, schools, businesses and groups of 8 or more. Entry to the visitor centre is via Museum Street, G Greenwich London . ''. & G. Thomson, she was one of the last tea clippers to be built and one of the fastest, coming at the end of a long period when tea clippers had been measured almost exclusively by hull size.
Greenwich is a unique space in London, as it is very close to the city centre and has a view of the world famous Greenwich observatory. To make the most of this opportunity the university has an excellent sports centre which includes a swimming pool (for us freshers this is a must). The centre also boasts excellent facilities for gym goers and those wanting to exercise in a non-traditional manner. The education on offer at Greenwich is excellent; the university has been named one of the London top universities by whatuni.
com for consecutive years, most recently achieving 1st place in 2013. The University of Greenwich makes it possible for students to study at UK universities from other parts of the world: either when the course is not available locally, or to supplement an overseas degree, or even as preparation for foreign universities. The university has over 2,700 students (of whom 1,300 are postgraduates), and colleges in London, Kent, and Medway. In 1865 Woolwich Polytechnic became the South Eastern District School of Art, then in 1890, it became part of the London County Council.
In 1970 this became Thames Polytechnic and in 1976 Greenwich Polytechnic. The Polytechnics were reorganised in 1992 as Trinity College of London and the "new" University of Greenwich was granted by charter in July 1992. The University of Greenwich has been placed fourth in the Guardian League Tables 2018 for specialist institutions. This is a jump of 11 places on last year and the best placed new university. In the league table, the university scores 65/100 overall, ahead of other London institutions including City, Queen Mary, Goldsmiths and Royal Holloway.
Greenwich railway station was originally opened in 1849 as Maze Hill and was rebuilt in 1950. It is within walking distance of most places in Greenwich town centre and close to the Cutty Sark, the Old Royal Naval College, New Royal Naval College (both former college buildings of the University of London), the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich Park and a major art gallery. The DLR's Cutty Sark station is under 3 miles (4. 8 km) north east at Cutty Sark DLR Bridge.
Greenwich is also connected to central London via the Jubilee line, with North Greenwich tube station maintaining a connection between the Jubilee line and the DLR. There are also Thames Clippers services from the Thames Path (north of the river) and City Cruises services from near the Cutty Sark to Woolwich Arsenal Pier (the King William Walkway) and onwards to the O2 Arena in Greenwich. Greenwich railway station is the more centrally located of the two stations, lying between Greenwich and Maze Hill within tight walking distance of the Cutty Sark, National Maritime Museum, the Old Royal Naval College, and a short walk from the eastern entrances to Greenwich Park.
Greenwich is around 20 minutes from London Bridge. Greenwich town centre is about a mile from the station. National Rail access is provided by Thameslink trains running between St. Albans City / Luton Airport Parkway and Sutton via Elephant and Castle, London Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and City Thameslink. Greenwich is served by several Transport for London bus services connecting it to areas including Catford, Bromley by Bow, Charlton, Woolwich and many parts of east and south-east London.
The area is home to numerous amateur football teams, including Easton & Otterspool FC and the Premier Division Greenwich Borough FC, who play at the Old Royal Naval College. Greenwich Borough FC are currently applying for planning permission to build a new stadium/soccer academy. The football club aspires to open up its training facilities to the local community, including non-league football schools, while holding all age group training on site. One of south-east London's largest rugby union clubs, Blackheath FC, trains on Beresford Road in Kidbrooke.
The Greenwich Polo Club is also based in Kidbrooke Park, and is made up of a 20-goal field. There are also amateur football clubs in Greenwich who play in the Kent Amateur League. The longest running amateur football club is Charlton Athletic FC, based at The Valley (originally known as the Greenwich Highland Games Football Club). They have won four national FA Amateur Cups, most recently in 1994-95 and have also reached the last twelve FA Vase finals, most recently in 2009–10.
Other clubs of note include Old Charltonian FC, Old Woolwichians FC, Thamesmead Town FC and Phoenix Sports FC. Greenwich is also home to the University of Greenwich Rowing Club (close to the Royal Naval College) and London Regatta Centre; both clubs have strong connections with the local school rowing clubs. HRH The Duke of York, Patron of the University founded the London Regatta Centre in 2000 and continues his association with it.
The Millennium Dome on the Greenwich Peninsula hosted rowing during the 2012 Olympic Games. Water sports play a significant part in the town’s sporting life. The Thames is used by a number of rowing clubs and the Royal Maritime Club’s headquarters is located beside the Trafalgar Rowing Centre. The Eastern Counties Rowing Association, and its sub-associations the Blackwater Narrows Rowing Association (who organise regattas at West Leigh Waters) and Colne Rowing Club are also based there.
. Greenwich is particularly known as a centre for rowing, with various clubs based around the O2 and Island Gardens areas of the town centre, including Curlew Rowing Club, Globe Rowing Club, Orca Rowing Club, Thames Rowing Club and Wisley Rowing Club. The university has the second largest number of affiliated colleges of any university in the UK (only Oxbridge has more), which are local to Greenwich. There are eight halls of residence, five for undergraduate students and three for postgraduates, containing more than 3,100 rooms across both main campuses.
Roman London occupied a small area compared with the sprawling metropolis of the 20th century, with its suburbs and commuter towns, and the city wall reached only as far as Moorgate. Londinium's sturdy walls likely did not suggest the future size of London, and administration and trade were probably concentrated around the landing stage on the River Thames, where the walls finished, near modern Billingsgate. The Roman city was rediscovered largely through excavation beginning in the 16th century (Wren) and enhanced by Sir Christopher Wren in the 17th.
By the 13th century the manor of Blackheath had been divided into two estates, one owned by the de Blackheath family, and the other owned by the Berney family. An earthwork now known as Mulberry Castle was constructed in the 13th century against the Berneys'lands on the south side of Blackheath, and was probably intended to be a defensive position for London against French attack. The castle is shown on proto-typical maps as a mound with a quarry facing a tower on top of it.
It was probably destroyed in 1497. Hundred courts were held at a hundred (a geographical area originally used for military organisation), but there are few records in the Blackheath hundred, and few hundred court sessions were recorded there. In 1257 Henry III took away the royal forest status of Blackheath, which in 1266 was given the status of a liberty, whereby the lord of the manor could claim freedom for himself and his men from suits of the Forest Law.
The castle of Isabella Marshal, the mistress of King John, was located in Blackheath, along with other Marshals'properties. In 1216, when John lost the kingdom to the barons and it passed to Henry III, Isabella's lands were seized by the king and granted to his brother, Richard of Cornwall. The Blackheath district remained part of the estates held by the Church until 1444; they were then granted to Eton College. The name was derived from the colour of the soil around Greenwich, which was the setting for a famous Royal Naval victory (over the Dutch) in 1666.
The site of the Old Royal Naval College is also the site of the former Palace of Placentia, originally built as a hunting lodge for Henry V. Over the years, a number of other buildings were added in Greenwich, including schools and lodgings for the Royal Household. The palace was rebuilt by Henry VIII after he destroyed Whitehall Palace during its conversion to a royal barge house. However, once finished, he disliked the new place and complained that his predecessor's palace 'in a few years I made glorious and far more agreeable than ever before; whereas in less than two years many parts [of it] are already out of repair.
The Hanoverian monarchs, George I to George IV, spent more time in Britain than any other dynasty. This contrasted with the Stuarts and the Tudors who often spent most of their time in France or on Scottish estates territory, the latter being particularly true for Elizabeth's father Henry VIII and Mary I. The Hanoverians also held vast lands in Prussia that generated enormous tax revenues. In 1695, taxes were 97% of land revenues as opposed to 3% today.
They also raised coal taxes greatly in Great Britain and Ireland from 1695–1760; they were known as "The Duke of Newcastle’s Tax" and led to riots in Scotland in 1709. The Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich was a seamen's home established by Queen Anne. It occupied a site to the west of the River Thames near the current Cutty Sark building. It was designed to house disabled seamen and included a scheme to provide medical care for them.
Today only the central block survives in substantially its original form after fire gutted the buildings in 1805. The hospital was formally founded by Queen Anne, (ruled 1702-14), whose interest in seamen had been first shown when she was Princess Anne and had taken an interest in his welfare during her brother Prince George's naval career. However, the name Blackheath was long used for the area on which the Blackheath Halls were built as well as being used for the venues themselves from the early 19th century onwards.
Modern And The Present
The museum opened in 1934, preceded by a ground breaking ceremony. The King personally donated the Royal Coat of Arms displayed throughout the museum, which had been carved on a block of wood from the first British flag flown during the colonisation of New South Wales back in 1788. This symbolises the importance of maritime affairs within Britain's imperial identity. On 23 April 1939, having struck her "colors" to Captain Frederick Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood at what was then HMS Nelson's principal home port, Portsmouth, during a formal decommissioning ceremony held onboard HMS Neptune, and having saluted his flag as the last commander of the "world-famous" battleship (and former flagship) that had participated in every major naval campaign since 1914.
The modern National Maritime Museum was founded in 1934 by King George V, and has been inspired by the Queen's interest in nautical affairs. The museum also contains important artefacts from various private collections, including those of Theodore Roosevelt and Prince Albert; paintings, drawings and prints; almost 400 model ships; as well as a real but decommissioned submarine, HMS Alliance. The museum first opened to the public in 1937 in the former North Westminster Palace, a building later occupied by Queen's College.
The museum also has a branch in Greenwich, southeast London, where it is directly across the river from the National Maritime Museum. The entrance fee for both sites includes access to their permanent exhibitions. The museum's founding benefactors were also responsible for the Royal Observatory in Greenwich in 1776. The Museums of Regent's Park left Hyde Park Barracks in 1897 and moved to their new site on Queen Mary Road, which was owned by the British Army at the time.
In 1908 King Edward VII granted the National Maritime Museum a royal charter. The museum was established in 1934, and is Britain’s national maritime museum. It was founded in the 18th century, an era when the British East India Company (EIC) and the Royal Navy both funded more exploration of the world, which led to huge advances in many fields. The museum's first director, Sir James Caird, noted that the King's "interest and concern for the museum did a great deal to promote it,” and that he "never missed the opportunity of doing anything possible to further the interests of the institution.
The hill on which Greenwich stands was first settled in the Iron Age and throughout Roman Britain, and there is evidence of a temple during the time of Julius Caesar containing an altar dedicated to Mercury. The area was named "Bankside" in reference to the bank at the London end of the Strand that ran along the north side of the Thames (the street itself got its name from "banc" or platform in Old English).
During the Anglo-Saxon period, Greenwich was part of two separate settlements, one called Selewenes ea (or Selewenes ey) (Greenwich) and the other called Stoven ("ton", place). The hill on which Greenwich stands has long been inhabited. In the box on the hill is a plaque marking the spot where Geoffrey de Mandeville, first earl of Essex killed a giant. (See Geoffrey's Wood. ) Greenwich fell under control of an Anglo-Saxon chief called Rædwald, who gave the place to his son; and henceforward it remained in possession of the kings of Kent.
The name means "Place where people treat themselves to beer," and initially applied as an alternative way of describing Woolwich — today still occasionally used in this way, but more often in jest. To the north, the land rises just as steeply and the rump of Greenwich (North Greenwich) includes Deptford and Westcombe Park. At Deptford Creek on the far side of North Greenwich Peninsula, a major urban regeneration has been taking place since the late 1990s, spearheaded by a new DLR line to serve the Millennium Dome and ExCeL Exhibition Centre, and then on to Stratford for the 2012 Olympics: Old industrial buildings have given way to modern architecture and urban design.
The hill and the steep distance to the river here was enough to give them some protection from raiders in times of war. There are five striking views over Greenwich, the first being that from Greenwich Park of the dockyards and skyscrapers of North London, including Canary Wharf (on a clear day). To the south west is Blackheath, which is where most of East London's famous parks can be found, going towards Kent. The name "Greenwich" comes from the Saxon/Viking word "Greves", meaning "boggy places", and in this sense has survived into the modern era, describing the area immediately around the centre of Greenwich.
The Cutty Sark was a clipper ship designed and built by the firm of Scott & Linton at Dumbarton on the River Leven on the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Linton was a master shipbuilder who owned the land on which the shipyard stood. He gave this land to his daughter, as she married Mr James Logan, a Dumbarton wine merchant (and also owner of a shipping line) and both parties wished to create their own fleet of ships.
The Cutty Sark, launched in 1869 was built for Thomas Ward, a tea-merchant and former mayor of London. It is seen as one of the last great sailing ships to be built. The Cutty Sark, which means a sharp or skillful Scotsman, is a clipper ship belonging to the oceangoing heavy freight trireme type. Built by Robert Steele & Company in 1869 at Greenwich, it was one of the last tea clippers to be built and was designed for sailing on the valuable tea trade route between Britain and China.
Originally launched as Violet, the ship's name was changed to Cutty Sark at the next launch. The Cutty Sark is visible from the riverfront walkway. Just as the ocean liner was built to be the fastest, The Cutty Sark was designed to be the most beautiful of her day. She held on to this claim right up until a catastrophic fire gutted her in 2007. Despite losing most of her body during the fire, you can still see some of what made this ship so special to those who knew her well.
South East London is on the route of National Rail's Thameslink network, which has a number of stations in the borough, including Blackheath and Eltham. The line starts at Luton, passes through St Pancras and Farringdon in central London before reaching Brockley, Honor Oak Park and New Cross Gate before crossing the River Thames in tunnels under the river bed at Greenwich. It then goes through a tunnel under the grounds of Westcombe Park before reaching Maze Hill station.
It then passes through Charlton before splitting either side of Forest Hill station. One branch goes to West Croydon via Elephant & Castle while the other branch goes to Sutton via Balham before arriving at Wimbledon. There are plans for. The National Rail network can be accessed from two mainline railway stations, Greenwich and Maze Hill. Greenwich is served by Southeastern services to London Cannon Street, Dartford, Barnehurst and Crayford as well as Thameslink services to Luton via London Blackfriars and to Rainham.
Maze Hill is served by Southeastern services to London Cannon Street, Deal, Ramsgate and Dover Priory as well as Thameslink services to Bedford via London St Pancras. There is a third railway station in the town south of the river on the North Kent line. This serves North Greenwich and is also served by c2c trains to London Fenchurch Street. Previously this was a Network Southeast station but it is presently managed by c2c. It forms part of Ilford railway station, which is also situated within the London Borough of Redbridge.
There are 3 Southeastern peak-hour trains per hour to London Cannon Street via Maze Hill. In addition, there is also a limited service from [Aldwych|Aldwych]] via Lewisham to Dartford. Off-peak services are usually every 20 minutes on this route. Thameslink trains run directly to St Pancras International in the North and Luton in the South. The National Rail operator is Southeastern, although it is not referred to as such when national rail services are mentioned on Network Rail and GTR signage.
Only four London Underground lines run through the area. The District and Hammersmith & City underground lines stop at Great Portland Street tube station. Green Park and Victoria stations, both on the Jubilee line, are also in the immediate area. Numerous night bus routes serve the area including Numbered routes 23, 53, 59, 68, 78, 106, 198 and N207 as well as 24 hr route N20 and seasonal route N29. Parsons Green is a railway station in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, west London.
It is on the District line between South Kensington and Earls Court stations, and is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station is located at the junction of Fulham Road (A3001) and Parsons Green Lane (B324). It is named after a nearby road junction with four elemental names. The area is also served by North Greenwich station with Jubilee Line services to Stanmore and Stratford. Bakerloo line trains stop at Elephant & Castle station as well, which has been redeveloped into an interchange between the Bakerloo and Northern lines.
Trains to London Bridge and Blackfriars run continuously throughout the night, providing the vast majority of services within the night service period. The area is also served by North Greenwich station with Jubilee Line services to Stanmore and Stratford and Canary Wharf on the DLR. The area is served by bus routes 135, 277, 279 and the D3. These buses run between Trafalgar Square and areas of South London. Southeastern operates the station and passenger services, while transport infrastructure in South East London is managed by Transport for London.
The Docklands Light Railway (DLR; also known as the Greenwich line or Bank-Lewisham line) is an automated light metro system opened in 1987 to serve the redeveloped Docklands area of London. It reaches north from near London's City Airport, around the Isle of Dogs to North Greenwich, crosses south over the Thames and then turns west through Canary Wharf running parallel to the Tower Gateway branch of the Underground. Stations are in Travelcard Zone 2.
Greenwich is served by many Transport for London bus services. Arriva London operate route 97 and night route N97, while Thames Buses operate routes 40, 177, 180, 188, 199, 285, 387 and the 24-hour education route 686. The nearest bus station is at Greenwich Church Street; a few buses go directly to Greenwich town centre. The 132 and 168 buses operated by Stagecoach London link Woolwich and Thamesmead with central Greenwich. The primary Greenwich railway station is below ground level, with entrances in the north and south ends of the main shopping arcade.
The entrance in the north leads directly to platform 1, being the 'eastern'side of the line, used by trains towards London. Platforms 2 and 3 are accessed from a corridor leading directly off the main shopping arcade, or through two doors at the eastern end of the platform 1 corridor. We have the truly excellent DLR which is an old favourite of mine. While there aren’t many stops in Greenwich it still takes you to some of the best places you can visit in London.
By taking the tube to Bank you can head for a day up the Shard one way or shop on Oxford Street and head to Canary Wharf for something different. DLR. There is also a Thames Clippers boat service from nearby North Greenwich Pier and an Emirates Air Line cable car over the river to the ExCeL exhibition centre. DLR trains stop at Greenwich, Maze Hill and Cutty Sark stations on the Westcombe line.
Greenwich is served by many Transport for London (TfL) bus routes, with the central bus station at the Royal Greenwich Pier on the north side of the river. The station is currently closed and is being redeveloped; in September 2012, a portion of the redeveloped bus station reopened as a permanent passenger information point and ticket vending facility. Bus services operate from all over London, including night routes, as well as express services to various locations around London and commuter destinations outside of London.
Greenwich is served by many London Buses routes, but there are no trams or light rail services in the town. The nearest National Rail station are Charlton (seven minutes by bus), Blackheath and Woolwich Arsenal (both served by the Woolwich Ferry). The nearest London Underground stations are North Greenwich and Island Gardens. Detailed tables for all London Buses routes call at bus stops within the borough, including Canary Wharf Pier terminus, are available ( via Transport for London) at TfL 's website.
Bus maps showing the locations of bus stops and details of the routes that serve them can be found on the Transport for London website. Greenwich is served by many London Buses routes. The borough has very good connections to both Central London and Tower Bridge with several routes that run through the Borough of Greenwich. The five London Buses routes that serve the most passengers are. Greenwich is served by many Transport for London bus routes, and services are generally operated by Transport for London contracted operators Excel and Go-Ahead London.
Run by London River Services, the boat services from Greenwich Pier run every 10–30 minutes between 10:00 and 18:00 (until 21:00 in the summer) and cost £5. 40 per adult single (day ticket £9. 70) or £4 per child single (day ticket available). Free travel is permitted before 10:00 and after 18:00. HMS Belfast is also accessible by boat, departing from Westminster Millennium Pier every hour between 10:30 and 17:30 – tickets are priced at £3.
80 per adult, with concessions available. The boat services usually begin around 10am and then operate hourly during the day. The last departures are at approximately 7 pm. If you plan to be out in central London during the day and want more than a short hop, by river bus is a good choice. The price of £4 is reduced to a reasonable £1 on both routes if you have a Travelcard or Oyster card.
Boats run between the Greenwich Peninsula and Canary Wharf every 20 minutes during the day. Between 11pm and 5am the boats turn into a night service stopping at all stations until Tower Pier. The implementation of a new timetable to coincide with the launch of London Mayor Boris Johnson’s Thames Clippers project has been extended to February 2011. Greenwich Pier is also used by various London River Services boats, one of which offers a regular shuttle running between the Thames Barrier and the pier with the intention to raise awareness for the potential threats to the Thames Barrier from climate change.
Pedestrian And Cycle Routes
The Greenwich foot tunnel (shown right) is a pedestrian tunnel under the River Thames in East London, running from Island Gardens, on the Isle of Dogs, to Greenwich. The National Trail runs entirely within it for 3-miles 5. 5-kilometres from Trafalgar Square to Greenwich. A public footpath is accessible on either side of the river, but not both. As part of the Canary Wharf development, several pedestrian bridges were built. One crosses the river directly from the North Greenwich tube station; others span from buildings on Western Way and the Riverside Building to the side of the Dome.
The public footpath on the southern bank of the Thames, meanwhile, continues to Charlton. The Greenwich foot tunnel is a pedestrian andcycle tunnel under the River Thames in East London, England. It was opened in 1902 and links Greenwich on the north bank with Island Gardens on the south bank, close to Canary Wharf and the Tower of London. The foot tunnel is approximately one mile (1. 6 km) long. The main pedestrian entrances are at the Blackwall Tunnel northern toll plaza (via Blackwall Station); Rivergate shopping centre car park, Greenwich (access to the Greenwich foot tunnel also here); and Charlton House, Charlton Road.
The Thames Path National Trail runs along the riverside. The Greenwich foot tunnel provides pedestrian access to the southern end of the Isle of Dogs, across the river Thames. Greenwich is well served by bus routes and London Buses route 108 between Abbey Wood station and Woolwich Arsenal, is the district's principal trunk route. Bus stops are located throughout the town, with several in the r. Greenwich station is served by many Transport for London bus routes.
Rowing is a popular sport in London. Over a third of the members of the Oxford University Boat Club, the oldest collegiate boat club in the world, are from London housing estates, and all clubs report a large number of non-collegiate Londoners in their ranks. The most famous rowing clubs are Leander Club in Putney, London Rowing Club and Staines Boat Club. Leander's coaches often refer to "Leander mentality", which they claim is a mix of commitment, dedication and enjoyment, and which they consider to be one of the hallmarks of a successful rower.
The Curlew was formed in 1887, it hosts an annual Head of the River event over the long distance of 33 miles (53 km) on the tidal Thames. Greenwich Rowing Club's boathouse is located on the Thames at Blackwall Point near to Canary Wharf and east of Greenwich. It is one of the oldest rowing clubs in Britain and its members have competed for many years at the city regatta and Henley Royal Regatta.
They hold the title Lord Jersey Challenge Cup which they won in 1949 and successfully defended in 1951 and 1952. St. Cassian's School is known for its rowing achievements in national and international competitions. In August 1998, the school two eight-man composite crews represented Great Britain at the World Junior Rowing Championships; one was the fastest crew and won gold. Greenwich is also home to the International and National rowing headquarters of the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
The headquarters are located in the rooms that were occupied by Nanny Lillie, who was Annie’s Kindergarten Teacher. In 2007, the Curlew Rowing Club won the Ladies'Challenge Plate at the Henley Royal Regatta and in 2008 became the first club to win both The Thames Cup at Marlow Regatta as well as The Grand Challenge Cup at Henley Women's Regatta. There are a number of clubs in the East End that organise rowing races.
The popularity of this sport is reflected by the fact that there were 10,000 competitors in the annual Grays regatta held on the river at Chatham. It was also known as Gravesend to sailors, because it is on the north bank of the Thames, opposite Gravesend, Kent. Although still incomplete, Roman London remains among the best supported archaeological projects in the world. She was one of the lasthandling Chinese teas to UK.
The market was later extended to three days a week from Wednesday to Saturday under a further 1706 charter from the Earl. This also conferred upon the Commissioners the power to appoint certain local officials known as "market officers" who were paid by fees on the stallholders rather than by Government. The market was held in an area of Greenwich now known as Market Field (at the bottom of Chesterfield Walk). In 1718 it was established by an Order in Council that a Tuesday Market should be held at Greenwich.
It was held in the Market Place, East Greenwich until 1810 when it was discontinued for three years, but revived in 1813. In 1836 further Order in Council made the Wednesday Market a permanent fixture while maintaining the Saturday Market as well. In 1880 the market moved to its present site on the corner of Greenwich Church Street and Creek Road. The old site was redeveloped as a shopping centre with modern frontages in 1953–68.
It was badly damaged in a fire on 4th February 1986 but has been restored as Werneth House, containing offices and apartments. The market is now in the ownership of Greenwich Market Plc, a private limited company which employs eight of the eleven market staff. The other three staff are employed by Greenwich Town Council under arrangements made by Greenwich Market Plc. Every six weeks an open auction is held for traders to rent stalls.
The charter of 1700 also gave the Commissioners the sole right to work a ferry across the Thames to Battersea. The market, which has been administered by the Commissioners for more than 300 years, is still in operation today and is a major attraction for visitors to the area. The earliest markets were set up in the churchyard of St Alfege's church, and at first the medieval toll-booth was used as a covered shelter.